Pages

Tuesday 8 December 2015

MEDHU VADAI/ ULUNDHU VADAI

MEDHU VADAI RECIPE-One of my all time favorites.Tasty,healthy snack.Here is the recipe.

Medhu Vadai recipe



The recipe is simple.My mother makes very delicious vadai with holes in it.Watching her making the vadai so beautifully tempted me do it.She says using grinders make the vadai more fluffy.The first time I was able to make holes.But the vadai was hard.Then I tried two to three times and now yes I make good vadai with holes.I should mention the role of this post too in making this vadai.Best combination is to have with Ven Pongal , Coconut Chutney and Sambhar. Check my Ven Pongal recipe for a wonderful breakfast combo.

Soft Ulundhu Vadai Recipe




Ingredients
Urad Dhal
1 Cup
Green Chillies
3
Ginger
1/2 inch
Coriander Leaves
few
Pepper
1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp
Asafoetida
A Pinch
Oil
To Deep fry
Salt
To Taste



Method:

1.Soak Urad Dhal for minimum 1 hr.I soaked for nearly 4 hrs.
2.Just add 1/4 cup of water and start the grinder.Now add urad dhal slowly.See to that urad dhal does not stick to the grinding stones.Note the time.
3.Grind well occaionally scraping the sides for even grinding and add water only in drops when you feel the stones get jammed..
4.Grind just for a maximum of 20 to 25 mins.By now dhal would have ground well.Take just a ball in hand and check if you can make holes.
5.Just before taking the batter add some pepper so that it gets broken.Transfer he batter to a bowl.
6.If you are making vadai immediately you can add the chopped green chillies,ginger,coriander leaves,cumin seeds,Asafoetida ,salt and mix well.If you are making the vadai later keep the batter in fridge.
7.Heat Oil in a kadai.It should fill the vadai completely.So take oil accordingly.
8.Take a bowl of water.Wet your fingers.When oil is hot,Take a ball of batter.Make hole using thumb.Keep your fingers inverted over oil.Just move your fore finger and ring finger.Vadai will drop into oil.Keep your hands in safe level so that oil does not splatter.
9.Allow the vadai to get cooked one side before using any spatula.Flip the other side to get it cooked.Flip in a good interval of time so that vadai turns crispy on both sides.
10.Serve hot with coconut chutney and hot cup of Tea as snack or with a great breakfast combo
11.Cook 'n' Enjoy


Tip:
1.I added water before adding Urad dhal as per the grinder manufacturers instruction.The instruction says add little water before loading the grinder.So each time,I add very little water before loading the grinder.
2.As per my observation using chilled water while grinding urad dhal makes it more fluffy.My mother has also told this.I do this even for Idli batter.
3.Finely Chopped Onions also can be added as per your taste preferance.