Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2013

PULI RASAM / TAMARIND RASAM

Puli Rasam- Though everyone uses the same ingredients, I wonder how tastes differ from one rasam to the other. Here is a simple rasam recipe.

VILLAGE STYLE PULI RASAM



Though I like my mom's rasam than every others, my Mother-in-Law prepares Rasam in village style and it tastes good too. I have tried multiple times and today finally succeeded in bringing it to 85 %  of her flavour. :)


Ingredients
Tamarind
1 Lemon size
Cumin Seeds
1 tsp
Black Pepper
1 tsp
Red Chilli
1
Coriander seeds
1 tsp
Garlic
7 to 8
Asafoetida
1 pinch
Curry Leaves
1 strand
Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
2 to 3 tsp
Coconut Oil
1 tsp
Oil
2 tsp
Salt
To Taste
Mustard Seeds
1 tsp
Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp



Method:
1. Soak Tamarind in water.
2. Heat a frying pan in low flame and add coconut oil.
3. When it is hot, fry Cumin Seeds, Black Pepper, Coriander Seeds, little curry leaves and Red Chilli still in low flame.
4. Grind the fried items along with Ginger using a stone hand grinder (Ural). I have a small one with which I grind items fresh. This can be coarse and not very fine.
5. Heat a kadai. Add little oil. When it is hot add mustard seeds.
6. Once the mustard splutters add Asafoetida, Curry Leaves, Turmeric Powder and the Ground Mixture.
7. Now extract the pulp from tamarind and add this to the kadai. Add 1 cup (required amount) of water and add salt.
8. Allow it to heat. When rasam is about to boil add coriander leaves and switch off the stove. Do not let rasam to boil.






Tip:

1. If you have water of cooked dal you can add around one table spn  while adding the tamarind extract.
2. Along with coriander leaves ,you can add coconut gratings as this is the tradition of Tamil Cuisine. I prefer not to use much coconut. So my dishes lack coconut.
3. My mother in law soaks tamarind in warm water to get the pulp fully extracted