Pages

Saturday 14 November 2015

HOME MADE BIRTHDAY CAKE WITH WHIPPED CREAM

One of my long time wish is to make cake from scratch at home and this experience was a dream come true for me.I did this orange cake last week and it tasted good.Though I have made cake mix cakes many times,I am very delighted that my first experience of making this cake from scratch  turned out fruitful.


I referred this cake recipe from here

I followed the measurements exactly as said but for some of the following adjustments.I did not have three 8 inch rounds.So I used two 9 inch rounds instead.As we do not like much cream I reserved one 9 inch round and only used the other for decorating with cream.I prepared the frosting and I did not prepare the filling that is said in the recipe.And I halved the recipe of frosting.Also I used some cool whip.I did not use orange zest.I did the cake on one day and the frosting the next day.I do not want to miss any ingredient that the original recipe mentioned.So I have followed the same order as the author wrote so that I will not be confused when I refer the recipe in future.







Ingredients
For the Cake


Eggs
4 (Room Temperature)
Egg Yolks
2 (Room Temperature)
Whole Milk
1 Cup ( Room temperature)
Orange Juice
1/4 cup Strained
All Purpose Flour
3 cups Sifted
Sugar
2 cups
Baking Powder
1 tblspn plus 1 teaspn
Salt
1/2 tea spn
UnsaltedButter
3/4 of a cup (Cold & Cut into 24 small pieces)

For the Frosting:



Confectioners Sugar
2 Cups (recipe calls for 1/4 cup more sugar)
Orange Juice
1/4 cup
Salt
just a pinch not more than that
Unsalted Butter
1 Cup
Cool Whip
1/4 cup (optional)



Method:
Preparing Cake:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degree F.Grease bottom and sides of two 9 inch rounds with butter and line parchment /wax paper over it.
2.Break up eggs and yolks in a cup and lightly beat them.
3.In another cup mix together milk and orange juice.
4. In a bowl sieve flour, baking powder,sugar and salt.Mix well.
5.Now add butter one piece at a time.I do not have stand mixer. I had to use my friend's hand blender.But it was very tough to handle the dry flour with it. So I just used my wooden spatula to mix.Mix well so that butter is fully absorbed by the flour.After adding all butter the flour will  look with some crumbs.(Actual recipe calls for mixing in low speed in a stand mixture)
6.Slowly add milk and orange mixture and mix well.(Actual recipe calls for mixing in medium speed for 4 mins in a stand mixer)
7.Lastly add the egg mixture and beat well. Only at this stage I used the hand blender since it was like paste(Actual recipe calls for mixing at high speed for no more than1 min)
8.Divide the batter in prepared pans and bake it in oven until a tooth pick inserted at center comes out clean with little crumbs( I first set the timer for 23 mins as the recipe called for. Since I used only to 9 inch rounds it needed more time to cook. So I slowly increased the time in steps like 5 mins each time.
9.Once the toothpick comes out clean allow it to cool in pan for 15 mins and loosen the sides with knife, transfer it to cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.Remove the wax paper slowly.Place it in refrigerator until it is ready to frost.

Preparing Whipped Orange Frosting

10.In a bowl cream butter using blender (Again it was a tough job with hand blender as it heated up and I as not able to hold ) Cream until butter is pale and stiff peaks form.
11. Then add confectioners sugar, orange juice and salt. Add sugar little by little to your desired taste.Beat until cream turns fluffy and light.
12.Taste and add cool whip if required beat well.Cream should be in spreading consistency.

Assembling Birthday Cake


13. Take the cake out of the refrigerator.Trim the Browned and crunchy parts of the cake and make it flat

14. Take a generous amount of cream and frost using your icing spatula.This is crumb coating.(To seal in the crumbs). See to that the crumbs do not mix up in the fresh cream.I did not add any color here
15.Allow the crumb coating to set for a while in refrigerator.
16.Use your desired color in the remaining cream.Frost it using Icing spatula. I used teal color to spread and purple color to design hearts.
17 Place it in the freezer.We cut the cake in the evening.So I took the cake out of the freezer after noon.So it was soft to eat in the evening.
18. To Write the birthday message I just used cocoa powder mixed with water and filled in a zip log bag with a small hole .



Tip: 
1.In US there are three types of milk.The recipe calls for whole milk.(The other are 2% fat milk  and No fat milk)
2.Butter sold here are in stick form so here I have mentioned as cut into small pieces.
3.Place the unfrosted cake covered in plastic wrap in freezer for long shelf life.