Pages

Friday 6 November 2015

KAJU KATLI/CASHEW BURFI

Kaju Kathli a tasty sweet with just three ingredients.Cashew,sugar and water.I was planning to make this for Diwali. But reading all those comments and cautions from other blogs was worried to take a risk.So wanted to try this before Diwali.Yes it came out good.So will be trying it in large quantity.

I referred to this recipe from here and here.One mistake I did was I left the stove unattended for just a minute to take the parchment paper and it burnt a very little in the bottom.May be I used silver kadai as I did not want to use nonstick vessel.So be ready with all necessary items before starting.Follow the exact quantity and it will be no failure.



Ingredients
Cashews
1 Cup  (MUST be in room temp)
Sugar
1/2 Cup
Water
1/4 Cup
Ghee
To grease hands



Method:
1.Grind the cashews in a very dry mixer to a fine powder. To be more precise about the texture when I transferred to the bowl it was like the puttu we make (or the texture of grated coconut) It was ground well but the texture will be so. Terrified,I thought Kathli is gonna be a flop. But it worked.
2. In a kadai take 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water.Bring to boil.
3.Sugar should get dissolved
4.Syrup dropped in little water should form a fine thread.When touched thread should not dissolve immediately.This is the right consistency to put the ground cashews into it.Stir well only in low flame.
5.Keep stirring until the paste forms a mass that does not stick to the vessel.
6.To check the consistency of donness make a small non sticky ball with your greased fingers.If you can make it,switch off the flame and transfer the paste to a bowl.It looks crumbly not soft.Do not panic.
7.The recipe I referred to said that I should kneed it when it is still warm.I was so afraid that I started kneading unable to wait for it to get warm.( it was very hot).
8.No issues you can wait until your fingers are able to stand the heat.Knead well with your fingers greased with ghee like chapathi dough.After kneading it became really very soft.
9.Place the dough in between the parchment/wax paper.Use your rolling pin to roll to your desired thickness.
10.Make markings diagonally and again in the opposite direction to form diamond shape or the shape you wish.
11.Enjoy.   



Tip: 

1.The recipe I referred said if it is too dry to roll you can use milk/ghee but the shelf life would be less.Since it was soft for me I did not use any milk.Just used ghee to grease hands.
2.When touched between two fingers syrup did not form any thread but in water it formed thread.At this stage I dropped ground cashew paste.It worked.